World News

Senior journalist Khalil Jibran was shot and killed by unidentified assailants close to his home in the town of Landi Kotal, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, according to a Wednesday report from Geo News.

District Police Officer (DPO) Khyber Salim Abbas stated that Jibran, who works for a private news station, was attacked by unknown miscreants riding a motorbike as he was riding towards his home with his buddy Sajjad Advocate.

The gunmen encircled the journalist when his car broke down close to his house, dragged him out of it, and started shooting at him, according to the DPO. The incident happened in the Mazreena neighbourhood, close to the Landi Kotal Police Station.

Jibran, a former president of the Landi Kotal Press Club, passed away instantly, according to the police officer, while Sajjad was hurt as the perpetrators ran away.

For a post-mortem, the body was taken to a hospital in Landi Kotal.

Jibran has also reportedly received threats from terrorists, according to DPO Abbas.

Following the event, KP Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur directed the relevant authorities to apprehend the perpetrators of the journalist’s murder as soon as possible.

The Association of Electronic Media Editors and News Directors (AEMEND) denounced in a statement the inaction of higher authorities in responding to these kinds of incidents, citing the ongoing threats, torture, and kidnappings of journalists nationwide.

Another Sindhi newspaper journalist, Nasrullah Gadani, was gravely injured last month when he was attacked by unknown assailants on motorcycles close to Korai Goth, 12 km from Mirpur Mathelo.

Gadani was riding his motorbike when the sad tragedy occurred. After the incident, he was taken by police to Civil Hospital Mirpur Mathelo, where he was given emergency care before being taken to Rahim Yar Khan for surgery.

Later, the Sindh government declared it would pay for all of his medical expenses when he was flown by air ambulance to Karachi for better care.

Even moving him to a superior hospital, though, was ineffective since three days later, he passed away from his injuries.

Related Posts